Thursday, October 22, 2015

THINKING OF GREEK GODS (ARE JUST A MYTH?)


When I hear the word Greek, I think of mythical creatures (like pink unicorns!), gods/goddesses, and Percy Jackson! I know there are many gods that the Greeks believed in, which made them polytheism.


All the gods/goddesses were pretty cool! Let me list some of the ones I am familiar with and tell you what I think of them! See if you agree! 

I know there’s Zeus, the king of gods that took Cronos off his throne. He is the ruler of the sky, and he's very powerful! I don't think he really cared about what others thought of him or what they said, because he ignored them and gave himself all the power, and that's something I didn't really like about him. He has a cool lightning bolt! So maybe I should watch out and stop talking bad about him?!? 

Next, Hera, the queen of gods who is married to Zeus. I don't really know a lot of Hera but I have a question... Why did they marry each other when they were related? 


And there’s Poseidon, the brother of Zeus and also the king of the sea and horses. He's Percy's dad and I wonder: Did he ever want to take over the throne from Zeus? He seems like a nice guy, oops I mean a god. I think it is a little weird how the gods/goddesses had human characteristics. I expected them to be all wise and nice to each other. And talking about wise.....


There's Athena, the goddess of wisdom and war (AKA Annabeth’s mom). I don't know if I like Athena or not. She seems really fair and a lot like a judge. Although she might be somewhat of a Know It All. 

Hades! The lord of the dead? The ruler of the Underworld! Hades might sound scary and evil, but honestly I think he is pretty cool. I mean, at least he let Percy and his friends go in the first book. Any of you like Percy Jackson?

Finally! The goddess Artemis, who hunts. She is my favorite so far even though she is not married and doesn't allow her hunters to get married either. The real reason why I like her is because she shows great care to all of her hunters, like they are her sisters. Also, she seems very independent and also a great example for what a strong woman should be like.  Artemis is the younger sister of Apollo (although she doesn't like to admit it), who is the god of the sun and music. He is described as a dude that is really hot in both ways.

And then oh no! Ares! The moody god of war! I really don't like Ares because he really cares nothing except for war WAR WAR! So let's don't talk about him. 

Oh and here comes a goddess you all love! Aphrodite, the goddess who checks her makeup like every five minutes! She is super pretty and I would totally love to see her or be one of her children (although she is pretty sly)! Aphrodite is said to use her beauty to fool people to get what she wants. But other than that, she's a real angle! 

Those are the gods I can remember and know well enough to describe. I might have missed some of your favorite gods or goddesses, but don't get mad and tell me what you know and think about them in the comments! Here's some questions I am curious about: The Greeks truly believed the gods/goddesses were real. Do you think the gods/goddesses are real? Or are they just a myth? Also here's another challenge question for you: Which series are better? The Harry Potter series or the Percy Jackson Series? Hard right?




6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you listed the main gods, however in Percy Jackson there are a lot more gods such as Dionysus and other minor gods. It is quite interesting how Greek gods have human characteristics. At the same time, it makes sense, because these gods have so much power and are immortal, they could become arrogant and thirsty for more power. Anyways, I don't really think Greek gods are real, mainly because I don't really know much about them. I also think that animals in Greek mythology like Pegasus and harpies are interesting, or at least in Percy Jackson. So I'm wondering: what is your favorite Greek mythology animal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know too many types of mythological animals, but I think all of them are pretty cool. Are unicorns even part of Greek mythology? Because if they are, then I guess my favorite animal would be a unicorn, and you probably know why!

      Delete
  3. Seohee, great job! I didn’t know the story of Aphrodite’s birth which turned out to be really cool! I think it’s really weird how she was born from sea foam but I mean she is a god so it makes sense. Just wondering, what do you mean by “her bird was a dove”? Did you mean that that was her pet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josie you probably commented on the wrong blog...

      Delete
  4. I have so much that I want to say here, but I will shorten it to just two words...well, three. Harry Potter #best
    : )

    ReplyDelete