Monday, October 7, 2019

Dora the Explorer? I think not!




As a child, Dora was just a regular T.V. show, it was every other thing that was on Nickelodeon. I was never really fond of dora, I watched her every now and then, and when she asked questions like “which road should I take?” I would scream the answers at the T.V. and get so angry that she wouldn’t answer me back, but as I got older I just felt silly for thinking a screen would answer me.

Dora was something that I never really thought of a “teaching” show, I just thought it was something that was meant for entertaining purposes only. I could care less that she was teaching spanish I only cared where she was going and what she got when she got to the certain spot.

As I grew up tended to realize that as a child I was a lot like dora. I was small, I had the high voice, I had the big brown eyes. I myself am not latina and most definitely was not born in the rainforest, but I had many similarities. When I thought of Dora I thought of a lame child's T.V. show that was overrated and personally thought playing just dance was much better.

Some things I was just blown away when I first listened to the Dora PodCast was the fact that there were no Television shows that had a latinax or mexican girl and I was absolutely stunned, because when I think of America I think of freedom, hamburgers, people. I don’t ever think of the different skin tones of people I just think of people, and the fact that people had to really think about what there character should be makes me so much happier than just people going “well we’ll have a white character and they'll have a cat because most people have cat’s and then well might just give them two parents-” like it's sad to me that people just automatically think oh white girl/boy, pet, two parents, born in a city, and as I listened I realized how unique dora is compared to any other show there was.

Once in for all Dora is something we may look at and think of childhood memories, but in the end how producers put this whole childhood show together and helped many people in our world is awesome and I would just like to say thank you. And when the PodCast was over I was very surprised about what was said but happy that it all came together, so next time you hear or watch Dora you might possibly hear it, or see it from a different perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment