Monday, October 7, 2019

Face yourself!













Now, lots of people have phones and social media. Social media’s have lots of different functions for the camera. Like the facial changing feature where you can change your hair or eye color, but facial recognition features or even just features used to scan a detailed picture of your face are used in different ways. Now one of the most commonly used ways that are formal are by the police. If there is even a picture or video of a criminal that caused a crime, they can use facial recognition feature to find them. The program will search through millions of faces of past criminals and find either the closest match or the exact one. As technology evolves, countries have begun to use it more. Such as china. They have put more and more cameras on lampposts and traffic lights. There are roughly 200 million cameras in China that track and identify citizens in real time. China has even been exporting cameras and experts are worried that they are being used to track political opponents. Some cities and people are so worried about it that they have even banned it. In america, San Francisco banned facial recognition technology. Is safety really worth people always being watched?

2 comments:

  1. Daniel, I liked how you said that there are 200 million cameras in China. In a recent documentary I saw, there were multiple cameras just on one street. Lots of people looked wary and most children kept looking at the cameras. A question I have for you is how do you get this type of technology and if you get it, how do you handle/use the technology?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 200 million cameras in China is really crazy. When I was in China I remember seeing cameras everywhere. I agree with what you wrote. All those cameras can be uncomfortable, and knowing they scan your face is even more unhealthy for you brain. I would not like to know that people are recording me wherever I go, and I would feel like I have no privacy if they know who I am. One question I have is how do they get information on people to scan with cameras? Do they need permission to scan people?

    ReplyDelete