Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Maldive Cuisine





         I chose to learn about Maldive cuisine. I learned that coconuts, rice and fish are the most commonly used ingredients for many Maldive dishes.  Some of these dishes include Garudiya, a soup made of nothing but water, salt and fish,  and Rhiaakura, a thick brown paste made of overcooked Garudiya.
      Indian food has a humongous influence on Maldive cuisine. Indian breads and curry are commonly eaten here and influence other dishes. For example, many Maldive dishes are very, very spicy.
      I do not think I would enjoy eating this food because a do not really like fish or spicy things. I do think I would enjoy the desserts because coconut is used in many of them and pastries are the most common form. Would you like to try the native cuisine of Maldive?

                                                                         dsc_8864.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I really liked your post, it actually made me think of Oscars post about Sri Lanka! Maybe you'd like to take a look at it. I know they are two very different places but the food seems to be a lot alike in some ways. Oscar mentions some of the ingredients such as coconut milk and rice, I see those are also some of the ingredients used in Maldive. I did a little research and learned a bit more about the food types in Maldive and have decided that it is just not my favorite food type. Maldive is 99% sea, which is no surprise seeing that they have a large fish based diet. I'm not a fish kind of person.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I wouldn't really like to to try the food in Maldive Cuisine mainly because I don't like fish or spicy foods. Did you know that the cuisine found in the island nation is a mix of Arabic, Indian, Sri, Lankan, and Oriental influences. In Maldive, bottled water is safer to drink than the drinks they have selling in restaurants or on streets. Raa is a traditional drink and is a toddy that has been tapped from palm trees. Do you think drinks from palm trees would be good? I know I do!

    ReplyDelete