Thursday, February 27, 2020

My research on Nepal

I researched Nepal. One thing I found really interesting about Nepal was that in most homes, men and any guests are served first, followed by children; women eat last. For eating, it is really common to sit on the floor. Nepal also has its own calendar. Children are often assigned chores like herding animals, fetching water or feed from long distances, and working in the fields. Traditionally, boys are preferred over girls, because sons often stay near their parents (even after marriage) and care for them in their old age. About 81 percent of the population is Hindu. The most common religions are Buddhism and Hinduism. The average age of marriage is 18 for women and 22 for men. Same-sex marriage is illegal in Nepal. Momos (steamed dumplings) are a popular dish in Nepal. Meat is usually eaten a few times a month in small quantities, usually as a side dish alongside dal bhaat (white rice and lentil soup) and vegetables. Hindus do not eat beef; it is a crime to kill a cow. Muslims do not eat pork.Did you learn anything you new from this blogpost?Image result for dal bhat

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lexie, I thought this post was really good and I learned so much about Nepal. I think you will really like Kevin’s post about Indian food! Why you may ask, because India is mostly populated by Hindus. I thought it was odd that boys are more preferred than girls. I also noticed one grammar mistake in the last sentence, there should be a space from the period. Overall this blog post was very fascinating and thought me a lot of new things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lexie, I really liked reading your post about Nepal, I learned a lot about their traditions. I think you might like to read Shriya’s post about Indian food, it’s really interesting. I didn’t know that people in Nepal don’t eat beef and that it’s a crime to kill a cow. It’s really good to learn about other countries' traditions. My question to you is, why do parents take care of their sons after marriage and don’t take care of their daughters?

    ReplyDelete