Thursday, February 27, 2020

Afghanistan


Afghanistan is the 39th most populous country in the world. Its capital and largest city is Kabul. Agriculture is the main source of income for Afghans. Afghanistan is also rich in natural resources like natural gas and oil. New Year is celebrated by Afghans on 21st March. They call it “Nawroz”. It is a pre-Islamic festival which is celebrated by a gathering of thousands of travelers from across Afghanistan to the city of Mazar-e-Sharif. The celebrations include playing Buzkashi (the national sport of Afghanistan), wrestling matches, going on family picnics, relishing traditional food, and decorating the table for 'Haft Seen' and 'Haft Mewah' at home. I personally think that it’s a different, but interesting way to celebrate New Year in March because we celebrate it on January 1st.  What did you think about Nawroz?

2 comments:

  1. I really like your post about Afghanistan. I thought that Nowruz seemed like a very interesting festival. A lot of other countries like Iran and Iraq also celebrate Nowruz. I suggest that you read Nathans post. You guys wrote about two different topics but the same country. His post gives more information about the food in Afghanistan while yours talks about an important festival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fernanda, I liked reading your post a lot and I learned more that I didn't know about Afghanistan. It is very well written and very interesting to read. I think you might like to read Shriya's post about Indian food. It's cool to learn the similarities and differences of the countries near each other. I like that you chose one topic and researched a lot about that one topic. My question is What was your favorite thing to learn about when researching Afghanistan?

    ReplyDelete