Saturday, February 29, 2020

Diving Into Maldives

Has anyone heard of Maldives? I sure haven't! The Maldives is a small island nation in South Asia, located in the Arabian Sea of the Indian Ocean. It is southwest of Sri Lanka and India. As I have previously mentioned, I haven't heard of this nation, but I find its location and name intriguing, which is why I chose to do this blog on it. Many of their culture, traditions, and customs originated from Indian, Sri Lankan, Malaysian, Arab, Persian, Indonesian, and even African influences. This is shown in their dances and the accompanying music. For example, Boduberu, a traditional dance in the Maldives, takes you to Africa through the language and the rhythm of the drums. Thaara, another popular folk dance in the Maldives, is believed to be introduced by the Gulf Arabs. Many more of the Maldives's traditional dances have origins similar to these. Do you think that the popular songs of the younger generation have origins like Thaara or Boduberu?
(Because I don't!)

Grade 3 dancing Thaara

No comments:

Post a Comment