Wednesday, February 24, 2016

The Hunt For the Endangered

So I picked the Rhino article to write about, so here it goes. This past weekend they auctioned of a hunting licence in Texas. It rewards someone to kill an endangered black rhinoceros in Namibia. The club is expecting to raise between 250,000 to 1 million dollars. The auction winner was reported a fellow hunter. I think that this is crazy because I always thought that when an animal is endangered you shouldn't kill it, you make sure it stays alive as long as it can. Although, the article has said that the hunt will help wildlife officials manage the endangered animals and bring in much needed funds for them. I don't really know if that will change my decision for being with this or against this. Do you think this is a good idea? Why or why not?

3 comments:

  1. I do not really like the idea that they are allowing people to kill a black rhino in order to save them. It seems sort of counter-productive, doesn't it?
    I understand that it did raise a lot off money, but can't you have an auction for something else? It seems really heartless that they gave a life away to save others. I guess it was for the greater good...
    Do you think that it is cruel that they are allowing a hunter to kill a rhino?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that they should kill any endangered animals, no matter what. Although it will raise a lot of money, the overall goal should be to preserve the species. I understand that the auction had a good cause and it was for the greater good, but it is not right to kill endangered animals, even if it raises a lot of money. Even though it can save many more of the species, the priority should be to save all of the animals they can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am against this idea to hunt animals that are endangered I think that if we just left them alone than they would slowly repopulate faster than they would with our help and after they become non-endangered hunting would become legal again and the idea of selling a permit would be smart but while they are in such a small number selling the life of another living creature is quite cruel. Think about it this way you are walking around as a rhino and a guy comes and shoots you because someone sold him a permit to kill 1 rhino. Pretty messes up.

    ReplyDelete