Sunday, February 28, 2016

African Witchcraft.

Ok so picture this: You’re about three years old, laughing and playing  with all of your little friends at daycare. All of sudden you're thrown out of your daycare. Just like that. Not only are you thrown out of your day care but also your family. You now have no home,family, or anything. Now remember, you're only three. Now for you this may seem insane and impossible but here in Africa it’s not.  An estimated 15,000 African kids are accused of witchcraft a year. A prime example of this is a little boy named Hope. Hope was accused by his own family for witchcraft. When medical worker Anja Ringgren Loven found him, he could barely stand and was extremely dehydrated. Hope was named Hope because people could only hope that he would survive, He had been surviving for weeks on pure scraps from random locals. When Anja Ringgren Loven found him he had worms all over and had to have several blood transfers to save him. Hope is now doing so much better and has gained much more next weight. The next step is teaching him how to talk. What is your response to witchcraft?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lilia,
    I can not imagine how a three year old would feel going through this! My mom has a daycare and I know that they come so close with the adults and their friends! I can't imagine how it would feel to have to leave that. Especially leaving your family, that would be horrible. He was three and probably hasn't been away from his family for long periods of time. Also a three year being acussed of witchcraft that's ridiculous! Personally I don't think a three year old could do witchcraft and I think that poor little kid had a horrible time all for nothing!
    From,
    Elaina

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off I think you gave good information. Second, how would hope be accused with witchcraft. How?!?!? But I had others feel really bad for him. I would donate anything for this kid because I don’t want to suffer. I don’t want any kid to suffer. But some people don’t care about children like this and that is truly sad. It is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can not imagine going through this at three years old! This is terrible. What did the poor kid do to make his family accuse him of witchcraft?? He can't even talk yet, how can he be a witch? Apparently, this problem has risen due to urbanization, poverty, conflict, and fragmenting communities. I don't understand how their parents can desert them. How can their three year old be involved in witchcraft? This concept is terrible and I hope it can start gradually getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you three. I feel like were at the point were it should just be common sense to not give up your child because of witchcraft. It is such a horrendous thing and I cannot imagine giving up my future child or having my parents give up me.

    ReplyDelete