Friday, November 13, 2015

DEAD SEA IS DEAD?!?



One of the really cool places in the Middle East is the Dead Sea (which is located in between Jordan and Israel). I’m guessing many of you have heard about the Dead Sea… or not! Have you ever wondered why the Dead Sea is called the Dead Sea? Or in other words, how it got its name? Perhaps you are wondering right now! Well, first of all, the Dead Sea is not really a sea, it's more like a big lake. And it is really salty, so much salt that you could float even in shallow areas without trying! How fun would that be? Basically the Dead Sea is a really salty… big….um…...LAKE. But it's very interesting! So read on!

The real reason for the name "Dead Sea" is that there is so much salt in the lake that fish and other sea creatures don’t exist. Some people swim in the dead sea, but they don’t usually swim for long (because I think the salt makes your skin shrivel). The Dead “Sea” is the lowest point on Earth (417 meters below sea level according to this website). Anyway, if you ever go visit the Dead Sea and happen to have a bag of chips (and if you also happen to be a really crazy person) then here’s some advice: don’t put the salt on your chips because it would taste bitter (Dead Sea salt is different from table salt)!

 The Dead Sea was here 3 million years ago! Egyptians even used the salt from the sea for mummification. In the area, it only rained about 10 cm per year! And maybe you're thinking why there is so much salt? Well, after a long time of rivers depositing settlement in the lake water and evaporating, salt is left behind. Some bodies of water are salty and some are not because the ones that are salty have no other outlet for water to go except evaporation. This leaves the salt there in the lake.

So I think the Dead Sea is really cool! Watch the video below to see Dead Sea salt (the guy talks weird) and here’s a question to you: What can Dead Sea salt be used for?!?











4 comments:

  1. This article is really interesting! That is really cool that the Dead Sea is completely made of mainly salt. What happens if are just walking in all of the sudden you start floating! I went to the Dead Sea and I wanted to go in but I had a couple cuts and scrapes and it hurt really bad! But, my mom went in and she got a really nice tan. I hope one day you get to go to the Dead Sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so cool how you got to go to the Dead Sea! I wish I could go someday too! Too bad you got cuts and scrapes! I can imagine the salt being rough and sharp. I bet your mom enjoyed floating, right?

      Delete
  2. Wow, you wrote a lot. I love your information and the video you added. I was surprised that the Dead Sea contains a lot of salt and the salts in the Dead Sea are that big(the size that shown in the video)! I thought it could be bigger than a candy. Also, I got scared why the sea is called Dead Sea and even though I know it is dangerous to swim in there, I want to try(not for a long time of course). It would be cool if I make myself float in the sea without any life jacket!
    I think you could add a picture of a map that shows where dead sea is located:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree. The salt cubes were pretty cool and big too! I also want to try swimming in the dead sea so I can "try" floating. It would be so fun! (hopefully)

      Delete